JEREMY I. SILVERFINE
Jeremy Silverfine is a partner with Brody, Hardoon, Perkins and Kesten, LLP. He has tried more than one hundred and fifty jury cases in district, superior and federal courts throughout Massachusetts. He has also argued matters before the Massachusetts Appeals Court, the Supreme Judicial Court, and administrative boards in Massachusetts.
Mr. Silverfine's practice at BHPK focuses on municipal liability and white-collar criminal defense.
Mr. Silverfine joined BHPK following fifteen years working as a prosecutor in the district attorney's office in Bristol and Suffolk counties, the Office of the Attorney General, and as a Special Assistant United States Attorney. Mr. Silverfine was Chief of the Special Prosecutions Unit in the Suffolk County District Attorney's Office, which focused on financial, internet, public corruption and organized crime. Prior to that, he was Chief of the Public Integrity Division at the Office of the Attorney General.
Among Mr. Silverfine's more noteworthy cases was the prosecution of a South Boston woman who claimed to have ovarian cancer and held fundraisers that bilked thousands of dollars from supporters. He also was the first prosecutor in Massachusetts to use the civil rights laws to prosecute a voyeur who secretly filmed his roommates in the nude. As an assistant attorney general, Mr. Silverfine was the lead prosecutor in the case against a group of international conspirators who operated a bogus securities trading firm under the name London and Global and stole $1.5 million from unwitting customers.
Some notable recent cases at BHPK include successful defenses of several police officers and police departments in excessive force cases and alleged unlawful stops; a defamation suit brought by a police officer against her department; a false arrest and malicious prosecution brought by a youth against a town; a suit by a self-proclaimed whistleblower for unlawful termination; a discrimination claim against a town for termination based upon a disability; and a discrimination suit based on age. Two trial verdicts were recently affirmed by the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circui: Aldrich v Milton, et al and Anjiuoni v Billerica, et al.
Teaching and Publications
Mr. Silverfine has spoken widely about white-collar crime at conferences including the following:
- Panelist - MCLE presentation "Direct and Cross-Examination Program" (2013 and 2014)
- Panelist - MCLE presentation "Pretrial & Witness Preparation with Judge Chernoff" (2013)
- Panelist - Boston Bar Association White Collar Crime Seminar (2003)
- National College of District Attorneys White Collar Crime Course (2001)
- American Bar Association Regional White Collar Crime Seminar (2001)
- National White Collar Crime Center Financial Records Examination and Analysis (FREA) Training (2000, 2002)
- Massachusetts District Attorneys Association Cyber Crime Conference for Massachusetts Law Enforcement: Legal and Practical Issues Involved in Investigating and Prosecuting Cyber Crime (2000)
- Law Enforcement Coordinating Committee Conference (LECC): The Computer Case: How and Where to Get Your Case Successfully Prosecuted
Awards and Honors
2016 - Selection to 2016 Massachusetts Super Lawyers list
2005 - Top Ten Defense Verdicts by Lawyers Weekly
In 2002, the Boston Clearing House Association, a conference of law enforcement agencies and banking institutions in eastern Massachusetts, recognized Mr. Silverfine's outstanding efforts prosecuting white-collar crime. In 2000, the New England Chapter of the International Association of Financial Crimes Investigators named Mr. Silverfine "Prosecutor of the Year".
- Massachusetts, 1984
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Suffolk University Law School, Boston, Massachusetts
- Honors: Executive Editor of The Advocate
- Honors: Contributing Editor of Dicta
- Brandeis University.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Boston Bar Association, Member, Criminal Law Steering Committee
- Common Cause Legal Advisory Board
- Massachusetts Bar Association, Member